Monday, October 10, 2011

The way things used to be...

I used to sleep late.
We used to go to restaurants to eat.
I used to have time to myself.
I used to enjoy shopping for myself.
I used to use the bathroom without an audience.
I used to treat my dog like a child.
I used to sleep soundly without a care in the world.
I used to go to the movies and watch things not rated G.
I used to have a smaller car.
I used to have smaller hips.
I used to not deal with anyone's body fluids or byproducts except my own.

These days I am up before dawn...and sometimes a couple of times during the night. I am too afraid to venture to restaurants with 3 kids. I have 3 alternating constant companions. I rarely have time to shop for myself. I never go to the bathroom alone...except very late at night. I haven't seen a grown-up movie in ages...or even a grown-up t.v. show for that matter. I drive a mini van and spend my whole day wiping hineys, faces and noses (each with different wipes of course)!

But, the truth is...I wouldn't trade it for anything.
It's hard to imagine all the immense joy I would be missing without these guys.
What would our home be like without the belly laughs and screaming...and even the tooting? What a dull and boring life we would be leading.
No sticky hands and faces, bath tub full of toys, tiny socks on the floor...

No outdoor adventures, walking sticks, dirty boots, snail collections...
No monster trucks, trains, baby dolls, princess shoes, hair bows...
No bottles, burp rags, diapers, blankies...
No middle of the night cuddles, snuggles on the couch, tight hugs, wet kisses...
No, I don't miss the way things were...not really. The time will come again when our house is quiet...and clean. These little guys will grow up so quickly, move away and leave us behind. All this craziness is only for a season...and I am trying my best to soak it all up!

No comments: