Monday, February 18, 2008

Dear Large Man at the Pharmacy,

I understand that you probably had no idea about the kind of day I had today. I know that you have no way of knowing that I started the day with an almost flat tire that I had to air up (only to find out that I really didn't know HOW to air up a tire) and which caused me to be late to work... and you probably didn't know about my frustrating work day, or the fact that I was called to the day care center to get my son who was throwing a fit to end all fits... or that I had just almost been broadsided by a teenage girl that had no idea what the speed limit was or, for that matter, what YIELD means. BUT I would have hoped that you could tell, between my toting a squirmy 6 month old on my hip, wrangling my wallet and keys and a pacifier and trying my dang best to open the dang door... I would have hoped you could muster up just a little bit of gentlemanliness and opened the door for me. I see now that I expected too much and some how lost track of the fact that manners no longer mean anything in today's society since you graciously waited for me to open the door for YOU, what with your empty hands and all. But I did want you to know that you taught me a valuable lesson this evening... okay, two valuable lessons. The first being that I am grateful to have a husband who still believes in chivalry (whom I can always count on to hold open doors... for me or anyone else) and the second being that I will be sure to do everything I can to instill that in my squirmy son.

Thank you again for your thoughtfulness,
Mrs. Little Adventures

2 comments:

joyfuljourney said...

Well said!

Sometimes I wonder about the mothers of these guys. Are they disappointed in how their sweet little boys turned out? What would they do differently if they could do it all over?

Better question - how do these pigs treat their mothers?

If you were a stranger to me & I saw you coming in the pharmacy, I would have held the door open for you! It's just the nice thing to do. I also hold the door for the elderly. Wonder how that guy treats old people?

We have a big job - raising boys!

Sorry about your crappy day. Hope today is better.

LIFe - Matt said...

I'm glad you were able to see the unfairness of your expectations. :) After all, the door might have been too heavy for him to open.

Or maybe he just thought you were in training for American Gladiators.