Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I need a vacation now that I am back from vacation...

...I hate that.


Taking a 7 day vacation with an 11 month old is not really all that fun. I am not sure what I was thinking, or if I was even thinking at all. All that time of not being on his schedule, not sleeping well at night or for naps, riding in the car day in and day out... I have learned my lesson. But, despite all that, I was in my most favorite place in the world (that I know of so far)... COLORADO! So, now I can bore everyone with my vacation pictures.


We started off our trip visiting some of the husband's family and hanging out in the Denver area.


Hammond's Candy Factory Tour

One ginormous lollipop...

(Note that Katie has a lovely tan, while the Pasty White's are segregated to the other side of the lollipop. Oh to be young and fearless of cancer and wrinkles!)

The boy's favorite part of the tour... the bear that ate his finger.

It reminded me of the Dam Tour (as in Hoover Dam) from National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation... I don't know why... one has nothing to do with the other. But I kept referring to it as the "Dam Tour" which I am sure nobody else really understood, but it cracked me up and that is all that matters, right?

All the candy is made by hand, packaged by hand, and labeled by hand (that is a heck of a lot of hands). These ladies are making the ribbon candy. I am sure they just LOVE having their hind-quarters photographed all day long. Hmmm.... how annoying we must have been. Anyway, the lady in white is shaping the candy with a handy machine (cranked by hand) and the one in the orange is making the ribbon candy uniform in size. Can't you just feel the excitement in the air?


This is a hard candy press from the 1940's. As you may be able to tell, it made Christmas candy in it's day.

Here we are... being tourists.

So, that is all for today. But don't worry, there are lots more photos to bore you with. Stay tuned for tomorrow... Buffalo Bill's Grave and Argo Mine!

2 comments:

Beaver said...

Believe it or not, you will one day look back on this trip and sigh at how easy it was with one little 11 month old in tow... That is, of course, assuming you have other little munchkins trailing you at some point... Thanks for reminding me that I can always look back at where I am now and think of how easy I had it then... YIKES!

ShelleyRo said...

wait for 2 of them with time change, no nap, grandparents and a daddy that bought them suckers that are so full of sugar I am sure everyone in Vegas sighed a big sigh when we flew out this morning at 6:10. God bless being home and glad you liked your, "Dam tour".
Btw....the boy is too cute & growing too fast.