Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Grocery Store Wisdom


I was at the grocery store today (I am there a lot lately). Again I was with the boy and it was after my Bible study and way past lunch time and rapidly approaching the boy's nap time. So I was like a marathon runner... dashing for one item after another as fast as possible (come to think of it I guess that would be more like a sprinter). Anyhoo, I was in a hurry.

I made really good time in getting the few items I needed and headed for the checkout lane in a mad dash. I was waiting for the boy to have a melt down, or whither away from starvation... but we were doing fine. Until I got in line.

Why can't I ever pick the right line... I mean seriously, what it up with that? I got in the lane with only one other woman in front of me. All of her stuff had been scanned and it was being bagged by the time I got there. I thought "SWEET, no wait!!" Pssh... whatever. Little did I know that the checker was also the bagger at lane 14 and she had a "special system for bagging" because she "only likes her groceries bagged a certain way, and {she} passes that courtesy on to her customers." Oh crap. So, I stood there and waited. By this time there was a couple in line behind me that had emptied their cart onto the conveyor belt, so I was stuck... for the long haul.

I watched with envy as lane 13 quickly cleared out customer after customer... and still I waited. And waited. I could have been on my way home to make lunch by now. Ugh! Then... finally she was finished bagging (hallelujah)... but wait, there was nobody to carry out the groceries.

"I NEED A CARRY OUT ON LANE 14." the checker called over and over again. Nothing happened. Really... crappity crap. Then the little old lady in front of me looked my way and said "What a patient little boy you have there. He hasn't made one fuss this whole time." At this point I snapped back to reality and said "You're right. He has been very good."

Then came the guilt. Here I was in such a hurry to get on with my life that I hadn't even noticed how peaceful the moment really was. My good little boy was patiently waiting in the basket not complaining one bit about the fact that he was starving, or that he was dying for a nap since he had skipped the morning one. So, what was the big deal?

How often do I do that? How many times do I get overly aggravated that things aren't going the way I wish they would and miss the good stuff happening right before my eyes? I am sorry to say I do it all the time. Thank goodness God is patient... 'cause I know I am not.

So take some time today and look for the good stuff, it's everywhere!

2 comments:

Dani Smith said...

Thanks for the reminder! I get that way, too, and definitely need to stop more during the day and see all the good!

JAR said...

First, I'm jealous. . . my children were never that nice to me. Oh, we're supposed to be thinking about being grateful, sorry.

Seriously, though, it's amazing how much we can learn about the awesome God we serve by observing our children.