Friday, January 12, 2007

Oh, the things they will say...

One of the first things my sister warned me about (when I told her I was pregnant) was all the "useful" advice everyone would have for me including all of their morning sickness and labor stories. I could see that this may be a problem, especially since I work at a church and have so many "friends" to give me the advice (which translates to mean all the little old ladies that share too much info anyway).

So far the morning sickness stories haven't been too bad since most of them have come from people I know a little better. I have enjoyed hearing their funny memories of those exciting first several weeks of hurling and eating. But I was a little shocked the other day when someone said "at least now you look healthy."

I have been thinking about that statement today. Hmmmm....now I look healthy. Why is that? Is it that pale green look I have much of the day from nausea, maybe it makes me look more tan. Or is it the fact that my chest is beginning to pop out of my clothes, boob jobs always make you look healthier. Or is it the little pudge in my gut that popped up overnight and makes my pants too tight thus causing me to have to do the rubber band trick just so that I have something to wear. Maybe it is the fact that since I have such a hard time with nausea in the mornings I just don't care what my hair looks like and so I go through much of the day (okay, all day) all frizzy and stringy and pitiful looking (it matches the green skin pretty well I think!).

So I have come to the conclusion that either this person was coming up with the best comment that they could think of to make me feel good (in which case they failed miserably and should have just stuck with "Congrats" or something)...or they had no idea that I am all emotional and sensitive right now with all the hormones raging and that one little off-handed remark would have me in such deep contemplation for so long.

Well, at any rate, if you want to look healthy it seems that all you have to do is get pregnant! Good news, huh?

6 comments:

Beaver said...

Maybe you were too skinny and the extra layer of fat that appears overnight after you read the pregnancy test gave you a "healthy" glow . . . ???

Ok, so what was the little "s" on the end of your sister's comment regarding "neice(s)" or "nephew(s)"???? You know multiples make you even more "healthy" looking as you "pudge out" more quickly and are even MORE sick due to the extra hormones raging!?!?

joyfuljourney said...

The (s) is a family joke! We all think she should have multiples! Her hubby especially likes to push her buttons about it. But I think if anyone can handle twins,etc. it would be Kacole.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but it sure would be fun to have multiples in the family!!!!

joyfuljourney said...

Unless they have the uncle's or the daddy's senses of humor! Maybe that wouldn't be all that much fun!

joyfuljourney said...

uh, that should be "sense of humor"

LIFe - Matt said...

You should have come by! It was a great encouragement for Dani and me. i am so thankful that i get to do this!!!

Please keep me updated...

katidesigns10 said...

Congratulations Kara! This is Kati, Joyfuljourney's neice. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I enjoy reading your blog in which I came across your wonderful news. But regretfully, I will NOT be following your advice about pregnancy making you look healthier. But Congratulations anyway!!!