Thursday, January 31, 2008

My plastic obsession continued...

Well, there is wonderful news at my house on the new baby bottle front! I have finally found some perfect bottles! You see, what happened is I quickly yanked all of the Avent bottles out of my bottle drawer and threw them in a bag on the counter. I decided that I would have to use the Playtex nursers that we used when he was a newborn. The drop-ins are safe-ish...but still weren't the best choice. We would have stuck with those, but the slow flow nipples were too slow and the fast flow nipples were too fast (and they do not make a medium flow silicone nipple). Caden was drowning in milk every time he ate... and he usually wore most of it. Anyway, thus started an even more panicked search for a new, safe bottle. We tried the Nuby, but the nipples were too small, so I wanted to try the Sassy MAM bottles, and after a huge issue with Target online... I decided those were not meant to be. Then the Angel of the Lord shown down his light to me and showed me this...

Okay, so maybe there were no angels involved, but I do seem to recall the faint sound of the Hallelujah Chorus in the background. It was an awe-inspiring moment. I am telling you, I have never been so excited... well, at least not this excited in the past month or so. This is basically the Avent bottle... nipples, caps and rings are all interchangeable... BUT the bottle is made of BPA free plastic! So, when I presented it to my boy he was uncontrollably excited... then he looked at me like "why have you been giving me these other bottles all this time... wicked woman."

So, let me clarify some things about my plastic obsession:

1) One person said to me "well the FDA says Avent bottles are safe, so we will keep using them." I say... seriously? Doesn't the FOOD and DRUG ADMINISTRATION regulate food and drugs and base many of their decisions on how much money they will get from the companies they support? But, don't get me started on the FDA, they have their own issues and I can only handle one obsession at a time.

2) Another person said "Well, you take a risk every time you put your child in the car... are you just not going to drive anymore?" I say...Listen, if I could put my family in a bubble and live that way forever I would. But in reality I think the husband would chafe and that wouldn't be pretty. But seriously, I can't control what happens the moment we step out the door each morning, I can't guarantee that none of us will become ill, get in an accident, or fall down a hole... but if I am aware of a problem that I can control, and there is even a 1% chance that something is harming my family I will prevent it in every way possible. Plus, now that I know about the problem, I can't sit by and pretend that it doesn't exist, that is just not how I roll.

3) This is only my opinion. If you were not yet aware of the dangers of BPA, then now you are do with it what you will. If you think I am crazy... join the club!



1 comment:

ShelleyRo said...

Thought of you today at Wal-Mart when they announced they needed someone to plastic bottles.