Sunday, August 08, 2010

Happy Birthday Caden!

Dear Caden,

Today you are three years old! I just can't believe how quickly time has passed since we brought you home from the hospital! Those first few days with you were so hard! I had no idea how to be a mommy and you had no idea what was expected of you! It was exhausting!

We survived though... barely! I now feel like I can read you like a book... most of the time! But occasionally you totally catch us off guard. And you have kept us laughing for almost three straight years! You are such a little comedian... but really... we laugh at the little things that aren't even meant to be funny most of the time!

Your little chubby body has grown long and lean. You hardly have any reminders of babyhood in your appearance! Occasionally I will catch a glimpse of the little guy I remember, but more often than not I catch a glimpse of the boy you are quickly becoming! I am so excited to watch you continue to grow and change over the next year, but I am astonished at how fast the time is ticking away!
You and dad are the best of buds! I hope it always stays that way! Every day that dad is at work you ask at least once and hour when he will be home. As soon as he gets home you disappear with him into the game room not to be seen again for hours! Very often I have to go remind the two of you to go to bed. You mostly only need me to get your food and help you in the bathroom... but that's okay... at least you need me for something!
You have begun to make friends and your imagination has exploded in the last few months. Your preschool teacher tells me stories everyday of how helpful you are and what a good friend you have been. You amaze us with your compassion and gentleness mixed with 100% pure boy! It is a great combination!
I love to watch you love on your sister (and fight with her too). I dearly hope that you guys will be great friends. Currently, you want her around all the time... as long as she doesn't touch ANY of your stuff. Sharing has been hard for you!
You are handsome and smart too! Your dad and I laugh a lot lately at your negotiation skills. You work every possible angle to try to get what you want. Very often you throw some curve balls in the mix as though we are not smart enough to catch on to your game. We also often wonder where you learned to debate so early in life. I have a feeling you will keep us on our toes. I also have a feeling there will be many times when I will have to settle for saying "BECAUSE I SAID SO!" because I won't be able to win the argument.
We love you so much! I can't imagine life without you in it! You are such a joy! We look so forward to whatever the future holds for life with you! It will be an adventure for sure!
Have a wonderfully happy birthday sweet boy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, sweet and funny BIG boy...we love you...

Tricia Rush Richner said...

Oh so sweet. I can't even believe that big chubba tummy! Are those chipmunks actually ON him? That's a bit scary.