Thursday, August 03, 2006

Do you like my nails?

I work at a church, and let me tell you - it can be really entertaining at times. We have two little elderly ladies that re-stock the pens and envelopes in the Sanctuary every week. And every week when they are finished they bring us whatever they found lying on the pews. Most of the time it is money or crayons and occasionally it is something more important like glasses or jewelry. So I gladly take them and put them in the lost-and-found or the trash or in with the offering (depending on what it is). But one week I got quite a shock when they brought me fingernail clippings. That's right...I said FINGER-NAIL-CLIPPINGS. Now what possessed them to gather each one of those little nails up and carry them in their sweet little hands all the way to the office is beyond me (or - more importantly - who decides to clip their nails in CHURCH)! But there they were - being held out to me like some sort of offering. This time I just handed them the trash can and tried really hard not to say anything rude.

Guess the sermon really made an impact that Sunday!

No comments: