Friday, November 10, 2006

Faux Paint

So...last Friday night my husband and I made a dash to Lowe's to pick out a new paint color for the dining room...something better than Institutional Gray.

...an hour later we were still trying to figure out what to do. Finally, we decided to do a two-tone technique that used a special roller...so we go in search of the roller in the "Faux Paint" section. Then we decided to do a stippling technique instead...so we gathered up the supplies for that.

Let me just recap for you:
-we run into Lowe's to buy a gallon of paint (before we go out to eat)
-after an hour we are still looking
-we leave with one gallon of paint, one pint of glaze, one stipple brush, one pounce brush, one package of cheesecloth and two paint trays...for a grand total of $75

Yeah...In the check-out line when she told us the total my husband said "All we came for was a gallon of paint...what happened?"

I guess we were victims of the pretty brochures and fancy displays that made faux painting techniques look so wonderful.

Well...Saturday night when I had been faux painting for four...yes FOUR...hours and still hadn't finished the first wall...I didn't think it was so wonderful anymore! I was pretty sure that if I had to "stipple" for one more minute, my hand was going to snap right off my arm at the wrist. I FINALLY finished sometime Sunday afternoon...at a grand total of about 9 hours worth of painting!

Needless to say...I will not be stippling anything else for quite some time...but man, it does look great!





This bottom picture is a more accurate view of the color...the other picture makes it look more red.

2 comments:

Shell said...

Looks great. Your husband should have known better than one gallon of paint.

joyfuljourney said...

It's beautiful! At least you live in the same town as a Lowe's! We have Osborne's (every says "ozburns") where you can buy a mop (they have 2 kinds from which to choose), a new thingy for the toilet, a cast iron skillet, a gallon of paint, and a holiday sweater - all under one roof. By the way they have toys - guns and tractors. I'm not kidding! Oh, and farm animals.

You are amazing! Come to my house!