Monday, October 15, 2007

Just another hurdle...

So this weekend was full of firsts for my little family.

The 1st first was that we took an overnight trip. AND not just one night...TWO FULL nights away from home! You see, I have been way too chicken to attempt this before. I would imagine the little guy screaming all night long... and keeping everyone awake... and us being kicked out... and asked to never return (regardless of where we were). But finally since Caden has done such a wonderful job of sleeping through the night... I decided to chance it.

You would have thought that we were leaving on a 3 month vacation. I think we (and by that I mean me) packed up every baby item we owned. All except the thermometer and baby Tylenol.

This is where the 2nd first comes in...

So we got to Grandma & Pawcaw's just in time for Caden to catch his first COLD!! Yea!! So, basically my nightmare came true. Well, except for the being kicked out and asked never to return... that of course didn't happen.

We took him to the doctor today (which thankfully was an appointment that we already had scheduled...that worked out well). We found out that he now weighs 13 lbs (that explains a lot... I am not as weak as I thought). And he got 5 vaccinations (which really thrilled him... I have never seen a human turn that shade of red... and I tried really hard not to cry). So today he is congested... coughing... sore from shots... and pretty much all around miserable. Just another hurdle I guess.

4 comments:

Beaver said...

The first time we packed up the car and it wasn't brimming over with STUFF, I couldn't figure out what we were missing... BABY stuff! It's amazing how much STUFF you HAVE to take with you! And you REALLY DO!!

The last time we went to GV to visit my mom, everyone packed their OWN little bag and we had like NOTHING in the back of the van. It was a great feeling. And we didn't even REALLY need the things they forgot to bring!

Oh, and I just remembered this! When Audrey was 6 weeks old, we had to drive to Louisiana for Wendell's grandfather's funeral. We stayed 2 nights. She cried (I mean screamed)the ENTIRE 2nd night there. And I mean ENTIRE! And since Wendell was driving, I got to be up with her the entire time. We have a picture of me holding her the next day. She is a limp rag doll in my arms and I'm looking down at her like I think we'll just leave her in that state and go back home without her! For some reason everyone else found it very amuzing...

And then, all of a sudden, they're 12!!

joyfuljourney said...

Beaver sounds a little sad that her kids are growing up so fast! It's hard to believe time can fly so quickly.

I think through the years I've left an arsenal of baby stuff at Grandma's. All stuff I had to purchase once we got to town! Someone should have had a Grandma shower so you wouldn't have to pack so much!

ShelleyRo said...

I still cry when Jack gets shots because he looks like someone just cut off his leg. Dave and I fight over who will be the bad guy and hold the kids down because the other gets to comfort. The first shots are always the worst.

Beaver said...

There are things to miss, however, Audrey is now babysitting her younger siblings and Dad and I get to leave and run errands (or go out!) without having to find someone to babysit! (My PET PEEVE!) Now THAT does NOT make me miss the babies! And THAT is a strange "I'm getting old" kind of freedom feeling that I'm not sure how to feel about just yet!