Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Just some random things...

This weekend was quite the adventure at my house. It started off with a nice stomach virus that my husband caught...then politely shared with me. Let me just say that a stomach virus...while pregnant...and not totally past the morning sickness/ nausea thing...really not cool. It just seems like a cruel joke...if you eat you'll puke...if you don't eat...you'll puke. I mean...what the heck!

So yesterday, when I was finally back among the semi-living...I was watching the Learning Channel and A Baby Story came on. Since I have now joined the pregnancy ranks, I thought I would watch it. So it was this story about a woman named Trina and how she and her husband had just gotten married when she found out she had breast cancer and that the chemo treatments would make her sterile. Then after the first round of chemo she finds out that she is pregnant. So she has to stop the chemo and take pain meds to make it through the pregnancy. The dad is so excited to be having a baby, but both are worried about the cancer. At this point I have quite the lump in my throat.

Fast forward to the delivery...which goes pretty well...then they run tests on her to see about the cancer...it has now spread to the bones...I begin the light sob. Then it goes to their first few days at home with the sweet new baby and shows the dad saying that he doesn't want to lose his wife and the mom saying she doesn't want to leave her baby (little heavier sob). Then...at the end...the screen fades to black...and reads IN LOVING MEMORY...
Oh that's it...it's on now...there is no controlling the tears at this point...what the heck kind of crap show is that anyway? I thought is was supposed to be some and-they-all-live-happily-ever-after-feel-good-about-childbirth kind of show! See if I ever watch that crap again, I can't handle it!

THEN, did anybody see the TODAY show this morning? OH.MY.GOSH!!! The cute little segment on moms drinking during play dates...go to the website and watch if you have a chance...really. So they have some doctor and some crackpot woman who wrote a book about it...I think...as the panel. And the question comes up (via an email that Meredith reads) that basically asks if there is a gender bias on drinking around kids since nobody seems to care when the men are standing around downing beers while the kids trick-or-treat. And...I kid you not...the crackpot woman says "Well, I was drinking at Halloween too. What if mom and dad are both drinking? We are both the primary care takers. Do you have to have a designated parent?"

WHAT?

As a responsible adult do you really have to ask that question?

I am all about having a drink now and then...as a matter of fact I am eagerly awaiting the day when I can have a nice glass of wine or a big ol' margarita...eagerly. But give me a break...designated parent...you have to have a designated driver...aren't your kids a little more important? Ugh! I have to go now...all this anger may induce the vomiting again!

No comments: